Perfect for a party favorite or side dish for pot-luck, this creamed spinach with jalapeno peppers adapted from food writer, Laurie Colwin, is my go-to dish for get-togethers, holiday parties and bar-b-ques.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 2 package chopped spinach frozen
- 1 70 spinach liquid from cooked, frozen spinach
- 4 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons flour all purpose
- 2 tablespoons onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/2 70 evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 8 ounce Pepper Jack Cheese shredded
- 1-2 tablespoon jalapeno pepper pickled
- 1/2 70 buttered bread crumbs
- salt to taste
1. Cook Spinach. Drain and reserve 1 cup of liquid.
2. Melt butter in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add flour and blend – about 2 minutes. Do not brown.
3. Add onion and garlic -stir into flour mixture.
4. Slowly with whisk, add spinach liquid and then add evaporated milk.
5. Add pepper, celery salt and shredded Pepperjack cheese.
6. Add one or more chopped pickled jalapenos and stir well. Cook until blended.
7. Turn into buttered casserole dish and top with buttered bread crumbs.
8. Bake for 45 minutes.
9. Serve hot with tortilla chips, crostini, or as a side dish for bar-b-q.
I have added a handful of chopped artichokes to this dish with great success. Also, you can use dried minced jalapenos in place of the pickled ones if you have those on hand.
For Full Article Click Here